Monday, June 18, 2012

Gear Review! Osprey Exos 58L

I know how many reviews over the last three years are out there on this pack. I get it, its been done before and you may yawn through this. Then again, some of you just may be getting into ultra-lighting and only looking at the "latest/greatest" models. Well if that's true then your in for a great surprise. The Exos is for ultra-lighters what Everest is for climbers; the ultimate!


Truthfully I've tried to find this packs equal ever since I bought it. None to be found. If I ever setup a "Gear Hall of Fame", this will be the only piece inducted so far. Yes, I understand there are lighter smaller packs out there now. No doubt the have their advantages. However, i will hope you look hard at this pack.


The Good...
Size Matters when its light... My 58L longer torso size comes out to 61L. Now show me a light weight backpacker who needs 61L and I say that's too big. Right? Well it would be an issue if the pack didn't still weigh only 2lbs 10oz. Think about that. All the room you could possibly need without tipping the scales over. Perspective here the new Marmot Drakon 35L comes in only one size and weights the same.


Cool down and not heat up on the trail... Osprey has perfected ventilation and separation between your back and pack with the "Air Speed" backing. Very hard to sweat a lot when you have a mesh backing and if there is a breeze your in luck. Your now become air cooled and so comfortable that it lets you bangarang out mile after mile without stopping to peel it off your back to dry off.


The rest of the Good... Inside out compression sides that allow you to use the whole pocket, hydration compatible, and two side vertical pockets that let you stuff whatever you wish in them. I use one of them for the sleeping bag, pad and bivy with my stove and some food in the other. This way i can setup camp as late as possible without searching through the main compartment for anything. Oh and there is a top pocket as well you can put a lot of things in. Plus if you need more, there is mesh stash pockets on your hip belt.


The Bad... There is a weight imitation for for the Exos of 40lbs. Hey but again, we are light and ultra-light backpackers... this is not an issue for us :) Also the pack seems to be a bit bouncy at first but after awhile either I don't notice it now or its not as much.


The Ugly... Yea right, didn't you just read my review.


SUM It Up... Durable, lightweight and roomy. Simply put, The Best pack ever made.

No comments:

WebRing

Powered by WebRing.